Thursday, October 1, 2015

Mother's Final Ministry

We put our mother in a local nursing home yesterday.

Mother will be 88 on Saturday, October 3rd. She is in very good health, very mobile and very alert. Her problem is short term memory loss dementia. Very, very short term memory loss.

Some days she's very normal and some days she wakes up in a new world every five minutes, or less.

She can no longer realize the dangers of everyday life. What I mean by that is, she still thinks she can cross a busy highway to walk to church or to visit a neighbor on the other side of one of the most dangerous highways in the state.

She may wander out into the yard at 2 a.m. and forget where she is, etc. There are way too many scenarios to list.




It was a difficult decision, but a necessary one. I realized the day before I took her that I had been looking at it all wrong however and that was the main reason I was having such a hard time with it. I was looking at it like it was a bad thing, but in reality, it was the best thing for her. 

She had a blast visiting with people, in fact, she still thinks that's why she's there and she was a bit upset with me last night I was told, because I didn't come back and get her.

She's already zeroed in on where the coffee pot is located and they may have to make a special pot of decaf for her or she'll be walking around with a cup of coffee in her hand at 2 a.m. instead of in the bed asleep.

I realized today that it is an even better thing than I could ever have imagined for Mother.

Here's why.

Some may not understand where I'm coming from here, but I just have to share what I feel like the LORD just spoke to me about. 

I stopped by about 7:30 this morning and she was walking around talking to everyone in the dining room, with her cup of coffee in her hand. Almost everyone else is in a wheelchair of some sort, but she just flutters all around the room, talking to everyone that can talk back. She thinks she's visiting and truthfully, she is. She just doesn't get to come home at night.

She may be 88, she may suffer from dementia, but I know with all my knowing, that she is not past being used of GOD. She can bring joy and companionship to many in there who just sit and can't get around by themselves. I honestly believe that this is her final ministry on this earth.  My mother has been a faithful child of GOD for many, many years and her life isn't over yet.

Don't tell me GOD can't use an old person....HE can do whatever HE wants and it's not over until HE says it's over.
One of the things that has made me so sad about this is that her usefulness in life would be over, she'd just spend her last days in a nursing home, sitting around being sad until she died.
I think I've been looking at it wrong. I'm serious...I can really see GOD using her as a bright, shining light to some very sad people who have no hope.
GOD is so very good!
How fitting this wonderful graphic seems this morning. I had submitted this picture of Mother to Queen of Your Own Life over a year ago and this is what they did with it.


Mother is the sassy one standing in the middle.

Blessings from Patti's Place to your place!

No comments:

Post a Comment