Thursday, April 3, 2014

Paleo Crockpot Chicken/Turkey & Bacon


I ran across a quick recipe for crockpot chicken, made some changes and it was so good I just had to share. 

The original recipe came from Ancestral Chef and you can find it here

Mine evolved into a one dish meal and I really like those on busy days. Also, it gets very hot in the summer time here in East Texas and it's always good to be able to cook an entire meal without heating up the kitchen.

This is one of the easiest and fastest meals I've ever cooked, also very, very moist and tasty. It will be a favorite, I'm sure of that.





I buy a lot of turkey, I like to use the turkey breast fillets because they're thinner and you can pound them even thinner for roll up dishes. For this, I simply dumped four turkey breast fillets(you can use chicken breasts if you like) into my small crockpot, added 8-10 slices uncooked uncured bacon, spices, veggies and a little olive oil. I turned it on high for 4 hours because this was for lunch, if you have time you can cook it on low for about 8 hours. 

Let's sum it up....

  • Paleo healthy
  • Super easy and quick to throw together
  • Very moist
  • Very tasty
  • Minimal cleanup
  • Energy efficient cooking method(that includes my energy too)
  • It includes bacon. 
What's not to love about this meal?

Ingredients
  • 4-5 turkey breast fillets or chicken breasts
  • 8-10 slices of uncooked, uncured bacon
  • 1 tablespoons thyme (dried)
  • 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary (dried)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • sliced carrots
  • sliced celery
  • onion(I used dehydrated onion)
The spices are pretty strong in this recipe, if you don't like it that strong, you might cut down on the amount of the herbs.

Mix everything together in the crockpot

Instructions
  1. Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker pot and mix together. 
  2. As the juices begin to collect in the bottom, you might want to stir the carrots toward the juice so they'll cook quicker.
  3. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.


I cut up avocado, tomato and boiled eggs for a quick salad, also some bananas, strawberries and red grapes for our "dessert." I usually throw some walnuts or pecans in with the fruit too.

I'm sorry, I absolutely forgot to take pictures of the sides, but they were very good with this. 

One of the most important things I've learned about eating Paleo is that I do better without planning too far in advance. I simply look at what I have and then decide what to make with it. I've been amazed at the combinations that come to mind and at how incredible they can be.

Blessings from Patti's Place to your place!



No comments:

Post a Comment