Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Tribute to Veterans





My Tribute to America's Heroes

I am proud to be the wife of a Vietnam Veteran and the daughter of a World War II Veteran. This blog is intended to be a small tribute to them and the many others who were willing to fight for the freedom I am so richly blessed with today.

Thank You Veterans!

"I could not love thee, deare, so much,
loved I not honor more." 
To Lucasta, On Going to War
Richard Lovelace 1618-1658




I watched the flag pass by one day.
It fluttered in the breeze
A young Marine saluted it, and then
He stood at ease. 

I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud
With hair cut square and eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd. 

I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years? 
How many died on foreign soil? 
How many mothers' tears? 
How many pilot's planes shot down? 
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves? 







No, Freedom is not Free

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill
I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen"

When a flag had draped a coffin
Of a brother or a friend
I thought of all the children
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington
No, Freedom is not Free!!
Copyright 1981
Lcdr Kelly Strong




My husband is....







Billy Joe White
Viet Nam 1968

While my biggest worry was what to wear to the Senior Prom, many young American heroes were in the middle of the most terrible period of the Vietnam War, Tet of 68. Many didn't make it home. My future husband was one of the blessed, he did.
The following poem is a small tribute to him.

I Wish I'd Known You Then

I wish I'd known you then...
When you were young
And you stood so proudly
So brave and strong.

I wish I'd known you then...
When for freedom's sake
The ultimate sacrifice
You were willing to make.

I wish I'd known you then...
With your medals on your chest
An American Fighting Man
Courageous and blest.

I didn't know you then...

But I know you now...
And an honor it's been
For in your heart you're still
An American Fighting Man.

Patti Page White




Getting a rubbing off the Viet Nam Veterans' Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C.



A Memorial for War Heroes at our Angelina County Courthouse

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; 
thy walls are continually before me. 
Isaiah 49:16


THE SOLDIER

They shall not die, so long as we remember they lived…

The Flag's been folded, and passed to his wife,
All that is left, of a soldier's life.
The casket is lowered, and a prayer is said.
But wait a minute, he can't be dead.
He's much too young, to be lying here,
He goes to college, in one more year.

We knew this soldier; he was our friend,
He defended us, through thick and thin.
We trusted him, in moments of strife,
He honored that trust and gave his life.
At least he gave up, this mortal clay,
But his spirit lives on, from day to day.

He lives in our minds, and in our hearts,
And though we miss him, though we're apart,
The ties that bind, will not be shattered,
If we always remember, how his life mattered.
He loved his country, so proudly he served,
He was sometimes scared, but never unnerved.

He fought our battles, far across the sea,
And kept us safe, in this land of the free.
So keep the vigil, in this home of the brave,
And remember the life, he so gallantly gave.
He loved the Flag, the Red, White, and Blue,
Keep it flying high, It's your flag too.

When the trumpets sound, with the final call,
When Taps is played, for one and all,
When peace shall reign, and we give thanks,
When there's no more guns, no shooting tanks,
When we come to the day, when we shall meet
And see him again, on that golden street.

Al Gamel USMC
1999




A Prayer For The POW/MIA

What if it were my husband.. daddy.. brother.. or son... would I forget?
Dear GOD, let me pray each day just as fervently for those I've never met as I would if it were those near and dear to me. Remind me, GOD, that there will be an ache in the heart of each loved one until the day they come home to stay. Remind me that the freedom I enjoy each day didn't come without cost. Dear GOD,
don't let me forget.




My daddy, Eulon Adron Page, US Navy, WWII







My husband's daddy, Marshall Charlton White, US Army WWII

Many women are also heroes





Thank you once again!


No comments:

Post a Comment